Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Day 1 - And So a World was Born

Day 1

The actual construction of the ecosystem was more complicated than I first thought. It was the first time I created life within a bottle. I was apprehensive in cutting the bottles because I knew it was crucial that they fit together after all was said and done.

The guppy (1) was smaller than I thought. After a minute or two of being in the ecosystem it was zipping through the algae, which made it very hard to take pictures.

I have never seen ghost shrimp before. They (2) were certainly smaller than the ones I've used as bait on fishing trips. They were translucent and looked terribly fragile. I'm curious to see how much they will actually grow and how hardly they are compared to the tougher-looking guppy and snails.

The snails (2) were tiny, and I was afraid that they would not move once we dropped them in. However they soon adapted to the rocky-bottle floor. They did not seem to bump into the shrimp that were near the edges of the bottle. These snails had differently-shaped shells than the garden snails I've been used to seeing as a child. This was also the first time I've seen snails that lived in the water.

On the upper portion of the ecosystem we planted (3) pea seeds in the soil. We planted them in a triangle shape, about an inch deep, and we hope to see some growth soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment